I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aussie version of show

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aussie version of show
    Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 14:44
Sunday night in Australia saw the first episode of the Aussie verision of I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here. It's set in the South African Jungle. I only recognised some of the celebrities. I'll only name 2 that you may know - Merv Hughes, former Australian cricketer and Maureen McCormick (Marcia Brady).

It may be a hit or miss show as it's up against 2 other reality shows in the same time slot - a cooking show 'My Kitchen Rules' and a renovation / building competition 'The Block'.

One series of the UK version was aired here a few years ago.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 03:29
Apparently it's holding its own with the ratings. Poor Maureen , she had to eat a spoonful of live fly pupae, ( she was told they would pop in her mouth when she chewed them), 1 live cockroach and 1 live meal worm yesterday, while Merv ate live earthworms (he went back for seconds on that one), a cricket and a grub that looked like a witchery grub. Maureen being a vegetarian wouldn't eat the pig snout or tail. One of the hosts is a vet, so when an animal comes into the camp ( a baboon was in the trees annoyed with the celebrities bring in his territory), he starts to talk about the animals in a knowledgable vet way, boring the pants off his cohost.

It's getting reasonable ratings because it's different to every other reality show we gave copied from the UK or US. Voting is interesting as this is one of the few reality shows we viewers can vote for an outcome that will be aired in the same episode. (They can start voting the night before, but can still vote into the current episode, depending where they live in Australia. Normally we gave 3 time zones in Australia in winter months - South Australia is 30 minutes behind NSW, and Western Australia is 3 hours behind NSW. During daylight saving time in summer, we have 4 time zones, Queensland voted not to follow daylight saving so they are 1 hour behind NSW, but have the same time as NSW in winter. Confused? My friend lives in Qld, but works over the border in NSW. She has to be on the ball time wise.) Other reality shows here such as DWTS, viewers have up to a week to vote.
Back to the voting, the poor host has to announce how much time each state has left to vote during that episode, and of course it varies according to the time zones.

Edited by MargiABC - 04 Feb 2015 at 03:34
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 06:51
Well its been on for almost 6 weeks. Additional celebrities came into the jungle during the series, including former English cricketer Freddie Flintoff. The winner was.... Freddie Flintoff. He won Au$100,000 for his chosen charity, the McGrath Foundation which supports the fight against breast cancer by funding breast care nurses. Glen McGrath, former Australian cricketer set up the foundation in memory of his first wife Jane who died from breast cancer.

After winning, Freddie said: "As an Englishman winning something in Australia, it's unheard of."

Everybody loved Maureen McCormick who showed a wacky side and did challenges that were pretty yukkie. In one challenge she even submerged herself (holding her nose and wearing safety goggles) into a large vat of water and elephant dung to try to find 3 stars to exchange for food. The 2 hosts didn't expect her to do that either. She couldn't wait to have a shower and wash her hair after that one.
 Post Reply Post Reply